Life is Meant to Be Sweet, Not Short. Overcome Diabetes with Yoga and Other Mind Body Practices
There is hope to overcome diabetes, and the other ailments that come along with the disease. Metabolic syndrome leads to other chronic diseases. Three out of five americans are obese and go on to develop other more serious health complications. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness, kidney failure, and limb amputation. In brief it is a precursor to chronic disease.
In addition, diabetes affects 29 million Americans, and 366 million people worldwide. With the recent trend of the growing obesity epidemic, the numbers are growing fast. By the same token, 37% of Americans over the age of 20 have prediabetes. In either case that is a staggering 123 million Americans.
There is hope, and ways to overcome this disease. With some self control, and exercise diabetes can be stopped and even reversed. Mind body practices like Yoga, TaiChi, and QiGong offer physical exercise, as well as mind training with meditation and breathwork exercises. Any work done is 90% mental and 10% physical. In order to be successful and change, one must learn to overcome habits that lead them to their circumstances in the first place.
The Only Thing Holding you Back from Healing is You. Turn Autopilot Off to Overcome Diabetes
Mind training through meditation allows one to transform from the inside out. These ancient practices give the ability to look introspectively and remain objective. Research has shown that the practice of meditation allows for greater neuropsychological control. When there is triggering event, one is able to make better decisions.
Becoming aware of the emotions that cause reaction to triggering events is the first step. Through mental training the neuropsychological response to events can be controlled and redirected. All in all, instead of choosing an activity that is self destructive, healthier choices will be made.
A good example of this would be to choose exercise over binge eating during a stressful occurrence. Developing mindfulness through mind training allows for a self dialogue to become open with the control centers of the mind. In essence the conscious mind begins to hear the action thoughts of the subconscious allowing for self governance.
The Effect of Diabetes Take a Huge Toll on the Body.
The reason kidneys have such a high failure rate is because of Acidosis. The effects of diabetes overall decrease quality of life. In any event, high levels of glucose in the blood are highly acidic and cause
- Lowered Bone Density
- Cardiopulmonary and Cardiorespiratory Deficiencies (increased or irregular heart rate, rise in blood pressure, oxygen absorption in red blood cells becomes altered, altered nutrient absorption)
- Headaches, Migraines
- Hyperkalemia – Abnormal Amounts of Potassium in the Blood Stream. This causes the irregular heart beat, as well as other sympathetic and parasympathetic issues.
Along with Meditation, Mind Body Practices Also Offer Physical Training to Help you Overcome Diabetes
Practices such as Yoga, TaiChi, QiGong, and other martial arts are efficient. Not only are they cost effective, but one 25 – 45 minute session trains all five elements of fitness.
The five elements of fitness being cardio, flexibility, muscular endurance, body composition and strength. Training all five elements of fitness together has been shown to have tremendous benefits on the bodies regulatory systems. Improvements such as enhancing 02 uptake, to promoting the physiological relaxation response. (there is a list below with more of the long term benefits)
Other than the tremendous health benefits, the cost effectiveness of mind body practices make them easy for many to incorporate into daily living. Everyone does not have the benefit of investing in costly equipment, or the luxury to going to a gym with the latest equipment. Benefits of physical practice include
- Increased Bone Density
- Neuromuscular efficiency
- Lymphatic System, Increased Immune System Efficiency
- Enhanced Beneficiary Hormone Production of the Endocrine System (HGH, Testosterone, Estrogen)
- Cardiovascular Cardiopulmonary System Efficiency, Lowered Blood Pressure and Heart Rate. Decreased Hypertension
- Enhanced Soft Tissue Tensile Strength, Muscles, Tendons, Ligaments, Fascia, and Skin. This helps to Improve Flexibility and Range of Motion through the Joints
Eating Right for a New You is Easy – Nutrition Tips
Let thy food be thy medicine – Hippocrates
Coupled with exercise, the best approach to health going mostly plant based. This is a big step in the healing process. Again, avoid these starchy carbohydrates such as they cause inflammation
- Avoid Anything Pre Packaged, Most are Carcinogenic
- White Russet Potatoes
- Avoid All Sweets During the Healing Phase(fruits are okay in moderation)
- White Rice
- Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Artificial Sweeteners
- Refined Starches
Nutrition Tips to Boost Your Metabolism
- Eat four to six times a day, try to get as many fruits and vegetables in as possible. You only need to eat grains and starchy vegetables once per day.
- When it comes to protein, one serving of lean fish, or chicken per day is ideal. Try to avoid eating too many animal products as it will greatly affect cholesterol and arterial wall health.
- A plant based diet will help you heal faster, search for plant based protein substitutes. Tofu, Seitan, Tempeh, Beans, Legumes
- Get the right fats, A guide on the Endocrine system and healthy fats.
- Drink 3 – 4 liters of filtered water per day
- Limit alcohol consumption, alcohol deteriorates the body
Use spices as they are nature’s anti-inflammatory agents
- Turmeric, Curcumin, and Black Pepper are anti inflammatory spices
- Capsaicin is a compound found in peppers is a proflammatory and helps the spices mentioned above work more efficiently.